Sunday, April 19, 2009

Communication

I recently started keeping track of my activities the past few weeks in a journal and found that people, including myself, tend to over rely on technology in terms of communicating and sometimes not communicating at all. Devices such as ipods, blackberries, mass media, television, and internet have seemed to cut out personal interaction between human beings. For instance people seem to shut out everyone else whether walking down the street while listening to your ipod or talking on your cell phone. These new technologies seem to have diminished our capabilities to communicate personally with one another. 
I've also found that older generations like the baby boomers often rely less on technology to communicate with one another. They are much more likely to communicate in person or over the phone rather than texting, emailing, instant messaging, or any other means. These generations seem much more likely to say hello to somebody while walking down the street while younger generations seem to just listen to their ipod, text on their blackberries, and overall not openly communicate. I was wondering what people think of my assessment and if they feel the same way as I do?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you. There has been a complete isolation factor with use of media in our generation. My father was born in the "baby boomer" generation and I can see a significant difference between the two. It's unquestionable. The escape of listening to the ipod is nice, however, it is still an important part of human interaction not to isolate yourself from society.

    Gaming, following blogs, getting news, shopping, facebooking, twittering etc, are all interfaces that allow this isolation to continue.

    I'll say it once and I'll say it again...even media in moderation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YO KYLE, you bring up a good point about people not saying hi on the street. Most college students are jamming to their ipod or doing something else that can keep their attention. This can often isolate the individual from their peers. If you have your ipod on the bus, the likeliness of you having a random conversation with a fellow passenger is slim to none. Meeting new people and enjoying the sounds of the bus ride is a part of life. I too listen to my ipod on the bus, but not all the time. I use it in moderation so I can still experience the bus ride.

    ReplyDelete